Saturday, June 19, 2010

Provence with Rick Steves


Travel updates, finally! I just returned from Provence last night and have begun to settle into my home for the next 6 weeks in Paris...but more about that later. First Provence! So naturally, Joy and I relied on our friend Rick to take us through the magical region of Provence, and he did not fail--and he's always good for making instant friends when traveling through Europe. You always see other Americans toting his blue-and-yellow guide books, trucking to the same restaurants and through the same self-guided tours. Whenever you have the chance to come to Europe, trust me, he's your guy (and your guide).
With his help, we made it to 10 cities in 9 days, despite periodic rainfall. Basically, we went everywhere you can go without a car. I'll write about each place in more detail, but in general, Provence is full of Roman ruins (which we definitely got our fill of by day 3), rows and rows of vineyards, colorful shutters, great markets, and amazingly nice people.
I loved every city, but especially liked Avignon and Arles, the views from the hilltop village of Les Baux, and the St Paul Monastary and Asylum where Van Gogh spent about a year.
It was a really great trip, but extremely exhausting, and despite the cloudy, cool weather in Paris, I'm glad to be back "home." I still have my tan, bug bites, strawberry-vanilla jam, and thousands of pics to enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment